The Arts & Sciences Support for Undergraduate Research Experience (ASSURE) fosters faculty-student research collaborations. We are particularly eager to fund work through which students have the opportunity to engage in thoughtful and progressively sophisticated work central to the overall research program of the principal investigator. Because the awards are part of larger efforts to foster a culture of faculty-undergraduate research collaboration at UNM, we would like to see proposals engaging lower-division students and students from underrepresented groups. Proposals will be evaluated based on the funding priorities of the ASSURE initiative, which include providing resources for students who see research activity as key to their overall trajectory at UNM and for research programs that are committed to solid outcomes for undergraduate researchers and promote inclusive excellence
- The faculty mentor must have a primary appointment in the College of Arts & Sciences.
- Students must have a declared pre-major or major in an arts and sciences academic program and be currently enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- A student is required to work with their faculty mentor on their application. The student will be required to upload a resource statement from their mentor as part of the application.
- A faculty mentor can apply with a maximum of two undergraduate students; a primary proposal must be identified, and the secondary will only be considered if funds are available.
- A student researcher is limited to one application with one faculty mentor.
- This program is open to all departments and programs at the College of Arts & Sciences, and we encourage proposals from humanities and social sciences.
- Funding: four monthly stipends of $400 ($1,600/semester).
- Time expectation during the semester is 8 hours/week.
Terms and Conditions
- Applying for an ASSURE award does not guarantee funding.
- Students cannot receive both credit and salary for doing the same work.
- Students are required to complete interim progress reports before receiving their monthly stipend. Stipends will be deposited into the student's bursar account.
- Students will submit a final report at the end of the award.
- Students will present their work at the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Conference (UROC) in Spring 2024.
How to Apply
Applications are currently closed. Submissions are invited in the Fall and the Spring.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org